Friday, March 8, 2013

Apparently it is National Women's day

I have no children of my own, I have no sisters I am not married and have never had a girlfriend.  The closest females I encounter are my mom, some of my extended family, and a few members of surrogate family in the form of housemates and their kids. My friend Chrissy is like my sister and her two girls are my nieces.  I have had other female friends that I see as family as well.  There are times when I talk with them and I see a kind of lack of empowerment.  Discussions of dating involve women being the passive recipients of affection from male suitors.  Women, when discussing marriage, also discuss obedience and submission.  This kind of talk always makes me uncomfortable.  There is an instinct in me to objectify or at least idealize women.  This tendency may come from my lack of experience.  Combined with this instinct is the ingrained idea that women are people and should be treated so.  Expecting women to submit to me seems unreasonable, but I see friends of mine that I respect essentially arguing that idea.  It seems far more reasonable to me to encourage a partnership where a woman encourages leadership and improvement in me while I do something similar for her. I want to empower the women and girls in my life, I just don't always know how. Here are a few things I have noticed that can be empowering to women.
A possible change in video games I hope to see.

I'm also a mathematician and this has a special place in my heart

Something my Mom and Dad showed me

If anybody reads this can you post articles or videos of famous women you admire or of idea that shape the view of women in our society?

No comments:

Post a Comment